Thursday, April 16, 2009

1 for you, 19 for me.

This morning I realized that I forgot to listen to "Taxman" by the Beatles yesterday. This is the first year in a long while that I haven't listened to the song on April 15th. I did listen to it today, however. I don't do our taxes anymore, Sarah does them now. She itemizes, which is something I've never done before. We paid a local preparer to do it the first tax year after we got our house, but it turned out to be really expensive, so I did it for awhile, then Sarah took over. Which is how I prefer it, I don't think I would have the patience to do itemizing.

Sarah usually e-files in February, but this year was a little screwed up, which we can thank Steve Jobs for, indirectly. The DVD burner on our 1.5 year old Mac broke, and we didn't get the extended warranty, so it would have cost over 400 bucks to get fixed. We opted to get an external DVD burner, but a) they are few and far between for Mac in a decent price range, and b) we haven't had the money for it yet. I still have my old PC (8 years running, CD burner is just fine thanks), and I use it to burn CDs, but Sarah won't use it. So the problem was that Sarah bought the Turbo Tax disc at Target so she could do the taxes. I told her she had to return it and buy the download online, because she wouldn't be able to put it on the Mac. For some reason, the download was more expensive than the actual disc, so she planned on doing it at work, off hours. No one really wants to stay at work off hours to do anything, so it didn't get done right away, which was fine. We're not hurting, but we had to cut down on purchases (until September 9th, that is). She finished them on Tuesday, which is when she found out that she had to pay an extra 20 bucks to e-file one of the returns, I forget which one. Oh well, at least we're getting money back, which we are putting towards getting the bat poop out of our attic (no, Batman does not have his Batroom in our attic, it's a long story).

No comments:

Post a Comment