Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sky Blue Please!

Yesterday as I was getting ready for bed (at 5.45 PM), an ice cream truck came down our street, which is a cul-de-sac (French for "Dead End"). I have heard the ice cream truck already this year, but there was something different about the tune it was playing. Then I placed it: it was the exact same tune that the ice cream truck from my childhood neighborhood used to play! It was "Sailing Sailing (Over The Bounding Main)," and this is kind of what it sounded like. The tune I heard yesterday sounded more like a Nintendo music version of it. But it was still a kick in the heart. Back then, blue raspberry was called sky blue, and it was my favorite flavor. (I should point out that this was more of an Italian Ice truck than an ice cream truck.) And they had the little paper cups that you could pull apart until it was flat, remember those? I almost never had enough cash for a large, which was a dollar, and it was in a 16 oz. cup and they really heaped it in there. See what fun childhood memories do? They make you blurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment