Monday, March 2, 2009

The Lord Giveth, and Giveth....


Right now it is snowing in central Delaware, something that doesn't happen very often. I could not get out of the driveway this morning, and our road was not plowed, so I had to call out of work. That is also something that doesn't happen very often. When the sun came up and I could truly see all the snow, it reminded me of when I was a kid. I used to dream of days like this when I was in school! I'd have a three day weekend, and I could spend the whole day outside with my Snow Block Maker, having snowball fights with my friends, or going sledding down the side of the Hamilton Blvd. overpass or the golf course. I used to stay out in the snow so long that when I came inside, everything was tinted pink, but I don't know why. Snow days were the best.

Now, not so much. Don't get me wrong, undisturbed snow is beautiful (that's my backyard in the picture), but I hate it. I have to shovel it now; my dad did it when I was a kid (he always got sunburned!), or our neighbor came over with his snowblower, which was the first one we ever saw. I hate driving in it too, not because I'm afraid of driving in snow, but I'm afraid of other people driving in the snow. I'm pretty lucky when driving to work on snowy days, it's 2 am and there's few people on the road, so I don't have to worry about going too slow. I still get people that pass me though, and I hate that.

I also hate calling out of work, because there is no one to call out to. I'm always the first one there, and I let everyone else in. If I have to call out, I do it the night before, and I have to call the manager at home. I don't like waking people up at 3 in the morning, so this time, I did what everyone else does. I called and left a message on the customer service number. I won't call back to see if we are open, because then I would feel bad that I didn't go in (yes, even if it is beyond my control, I'm pretty hyper about missing work).

As I said, we don't get a lot of snow here. When we do get it, it is gone by the next day, but not this time. I'll be looking at giant parking lot piles of snow for days to come. Fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment