Thursday, November 12, 2009

Nablopomo Day 12

Good day, and welcome to Day 12.

My friend Monica has a few regular features on her blog. One is Haiku Thursday, where she writes her blog in haiku. This is too much thinking for me today, since it is Thursday. She also does Friday Shuffle, where she takes her iPod and puts it on shuffle and takes the first 10 songs and writes something about it. She usually puts lyrics up, but again, too much work. So I present Thursday Shuffle! I have to go get my iPod, be right back.

Okay, here we go. Please bear in mind that I have about 1000 cds, and only a fraction of them are on my iPod. The burner on the iMac broke after I started putting music onto the iPod. Pleh.

1. Louisiana Redbone, Paul Revere and the Raiders - This is from the Alias Pink Puzz album from 1969, which is long past their peak of popularity. I love the album, but this is not one of my fave raves. I think it's lazy when the same phrase is rhymed over 2 lines.

2. Hang On To Your Ego, The Beach Boys - This is the alternate version from the Pet Sounds Sessions box. I prefer this version to I Know There's An Answer, which I believe Brian wrote new lyrics for after Mike Love complained that the original lyrics (Ego) were too heavy. I may be oversimplifying or totally incorrect.

3. Speed Racer, Devo - From the Oh No, It's Devo! album, which is what many people say, including my wife. I never liked Speed Racer when I was a kid, so this song is also not a favorite. But Devo has feelings too!

4. She Knows Me Too Well, The Beach Boys - This song is kind of typical for post-surfing and pre-drugging Beach Boys; beautiful harmonies, but simplistic lyrics. I still like it though.

5. The Longest Time, Billy Joel - I was 13 when the Innocent Man album came out, and I was heavily into oldies at the time, so I was crazy for this album. Not so much now, but he does a good job doing all the singing by himself.

6. Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway), Billy Joel - This is a live version, from the 12 Gardens album. My first impression of this album was that they detuned all the instruments to accommodate Billy's voice. I prefer the earlier live versions that I have, but he pulled out a lot of obscure stuff on this tour. The song is originally from Turnstiles, which is my favorite album of his.

7. Through The Long Night, Billy Joel - Jeez, the shuffle is broken I guess. This is a beautiful sparse song that always reminded me of the Beatles. I love the harmonies on this one.

8. She's Goin' Bald, The Beach Boys - I think the tune and melody are from the aborted Smile sessions. What a crazy awesome song. "You're too late mama, ain't nothin' upside your head." Genius.

9. Glad Girls, Guided By Voices - This is one of their "hits," as far as you can use that word with Guided By Voices. To me, they seemed to get a lot poppier towards the end. I think this was in a Buffy episode or something like that. Great song.

10. Sportin' Life, The Lovin' Spoonful - It's seems like such a shame that they only released around 5 or 6 albums worth of material. I think all of their stuff with John Sebastian is awesome. This is a nice slow blues song with a great wailing harmonica. Zal Yanovsky is a horribly underrated guitarist, probably because he was also a goof.

Some of you may be wondering where the Beatles are. They didn't show up until song # 24, which is very strange, considering they make up almost 25% of my iPod. Next time I guess.

7.

No comments:

Post a Comment