Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Paranormal Activity - WTF?

Sarah and I went to see Paranormal Activity tonight. We were expecting a good movie, what with all the giant hype that surrounds it. It was really, really bad. People keep saying that it is the new Blair Witch Project, but it really isn't, unless you mean ripoff. I can't understand how people were so scared by this movie, I didn't find myself feeling scared like I did at Blair Witch (which maybe isn't a fair comparison; we saw PA at a multiplex, and BWP in a drive-in, surrounded by trees, and the drive-in owners made up some of those tree-branch figures in the movie and hung them up all over the place. It was very cool). I guess I was just expecting a lot more based on the hype. I remember reading about the movie a few years ago, and even then reviewers were saying it was the scariest movie ever made. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that stuff, and I figured I would have to sleep with the lights on tonight (which happened after Blair Witch). I think the ending (suggested by Steven Spielberg, thanks a lot Steve) instantly negated that feeling for me. I just watched the original ending, and it was better, but not something we haven't seen before in a George Romero movie (spoilers, I guess). Two guys behind us said "You've got to be kidding me" and "Horrible movie" as they were leaving. My sentiments exactly. Sometimes too much hype can be a bad thing, but not in the money department for the writer/director! A sequel has been announced! Let's hope the actors can make more of this than their Blair Witch compatriots did.

Random weird thought for the day: At work this morning, I was walking back to the bakery from the bathroom, and I had to walk through the gift shop stockroom to get there. There was a section of the floor that had a lot of glitter on it. My impulse was to draw a chalk outline of a fairy in the middle of the scattering of glitter. Alas, no chalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment