Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Shuffle this time

Sorry, I'm really tired from work and I can't think of anything to write. More of non-content to come until Thanksgiving is over.

California Saga/The Beaks of Eagles, The Beach Boys - This is part of a trilogy of songs about nature in California. This part is excruciating.

Don't Hurt My Little Sister, The Beach Boys - From the Beach Boys Today! album, which was a year before Pet Sounds, I believe. It's amazing how much the lyrics improved in a year. You can guess what this song is about.

D & W, They Might Be Giants - From the Here Comes The ABCs album. I was surprised and not surprised when TMBG started putting out albums for kids. It's a really great album though, lots of great songs like "Who Put The Alphabet In Alphabetical Order?" and "The Alphabet Lost And Found."

Zanzibar (My Lives version), Billy Joel - I love this song, this version especially, since the ending jazz jam is extended. I had no idea for a long time that the first verse was about Muhammad Ali (it sounds like he says "Allie"). I read an interview where Billy Joel said that he and his band felt like grownups playing this song.

Oo Ee Baby, Herman's Hermits - I never heard this song until the Hermits' British albums were released on CD. I didn't miss much with this one. There's a lot of stuff that I would like to hear that is still unreleased, although I did get to hear a bit of it courtesy of Andrew Sandoval, who works (or did) for Rhino Records, and wrote a recording sessions book on the Monkees.

Not Behind The Fighter Jet, Guided By Voices - What a great poppy song by GBV, I love the guitar in this one. I wonder how Robert Pollard manages to remember all of his lyrics.

Poorboy Shuffle, Creedence Clearwater Revival - An instrumental track from the Willy and the Poorboys album. It features the band playing the instruments they are sporting on the cover, and are also mentioned in "Down On The Corner."

Don't Need A Reason, Beth Orton - A new addition to the iPod since last time I think. I saw her video for "She Cries Your Name" back when it was new and loved it, so I started picking up her albums. She has a great voice.

Me About You, the Lovin' Spoonful - From the last Spoonful album, after Sebastian and Yanovsky were gone, and the lead vocals were taken over by Joe Butler. I've only heard two of the tracks from this album, and this is not the one that I like, as it plods. "Never Goin' Back" is much better.

Animal, R.E.M. - I loved this song when it first came out (the first time I heard it was at the zoo, if you can dig that). It's one of those songs that comes up almost every time I hit shuffle though, so I've gotten a little sick of it.

Wow, the Beatles own 14% of my iPod, and they didn't show up until #52. That's weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment