Monday, November 29, 2010

Sour apples

Many years ago we visited a friend who had an iMac, one of the older colored ones. My wife was playing with it and fell in love with it and wanted to get one. I did not, I didn't want to change anything and I didn't know anything about working a Mac. A few years later, the same friend got the first iPod, and Sarah fell in love with that too, but I again did not.

In 2007, after years of our disappointing PC from HP which we couldn't update (Windows ME sucks by the way), we decided to get a Mac. Sarah had already gotten an iPod for Christmas the year before, and she loved it. I was still not convinced by the iPod, but I was more than ready to abandon the PC world. The Mac was expensive, but it was a lot easier to use than I originally thought, and we could use most of the programs that we frequently used on the PC. I also found out that you could actually run Windows on the Mac, but I didn't really want to.

After we got the Mac I started to get into the iPod, mainly for podcasts. I had some music on there, but there wasn't much room on it. Sarah had dreams of me putting my thousands of CDs onto the Mac and getting rid of them all, but that will never, ever happen. I have gotten rid of a few, but the vast majority is going to stay. Sorry sweetie.

That struggle was rendered moot in late 2008 when the DVD-ROM in the Mac broke. I was in the midst of starting to put all of my CDs onto the Mac's hard drive when it happened. We brought the Mac to the Apple Store and they said it would cost over $400 to fix it. Of course, it was out of warranty, so we opted not to fix it and get an external DVD-ROM, which has proven difficult. We are currently borrowing my father-in-law's converted internal DVD-ROM drive, which sounds like an airplane taking off, but it works. But if we want to make our own DVDs with the iDVD program on the Mac, we're screwed, because it doesn't recognize external DVD-ROMS. The fact that it broke after a year and a half of not very much use pissed us off, but Apple wanted money that we didn't have, so we had to let it go.

Last year Sarah bought me the 120 GB iPod Classic for my birthday, because my iPod usage far outweighed hers. Besides podcasts, I started putting all of my music onto it so I could listen to it at work, instead of dragging CDs with me everyday. I bought a little radio with a 1/8 inch input jack and I was in business. Until last month, which was almost a year and a half after I got it. It seems that the headphone jack is this cheap plastic piece of crap that just sits inside the iPod (it's not soldered), and if you frequently put headphones in it, it will eventually move and you'll only be able to get one channel. In my case, only the left channel works through the headphones, and I listen to a lot of older music, where the stereo separation is severe. I'm talking vocals in one channel and instruments in the other channel severe, so I get an instrumental or acappella. It was driving me crazy until I realized that I could convert the songs to mono so it wouldn't be so bad, but of course, that takes time and more space on the iPod. It's basically an enormous pain in the ass and is pissing me off.

You would think that something that didn't have external speakers would have a more stable headphone jack, but of course it doesn't. And also of course, they don't don't make my model iPod anymore, and again want an arm and a leg to fix it. Thankfully, there is a market that has risen up to meet this demand, since it is a common problem with iPods. I have ordered the offending headphone jack and iPod pry tools, and my brother in law (who is handy with such things) has offered to replace it for me, since the online tutorials looked really scary. In the meantime, I have discovered that I can get stereo from the dock connector, but there are caveats. You can't adjust the iPod volume, so it tends to distort if you have it up too loud (read:loud enough to hear over the mixers). Also, I need to use the iPod to TV cable, which is a very long cable, made even longer by the RCA to 1/8 inch plug cable I need to plug into the radio. But at least I can enjoy stereo, as long as the dock connector holds out, since I use that everyday to charge the iPod. Hopefully my brother in law will be able to fix it and Apple has this problem fixed in the next iPod I get.

Now Sarah wants an iPad. I think that we will get the extended warranty if we get one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment