Friday, November 5, 2010

I like my job

In a few weeks I will have been at my current job for 9 years. In April it will be the longest I have worked anywhere (current champ right now is at my parents' bakery). A lot has changed in the past 9 years, I am the only one left in the bakery from when it opened, yes, 9 years ago. My boss is still there but she doesn't do any baking anymore. The bakery was her idea and she worked it for a few months, then left it to us. A lot of people have come and gone, many that I don't remember at all. I can see their faces but I don't remember their names. It's kind of strange that you can see someone for 4 or 5 days a week for months at a time, then later you can't remember them.

We have two stores now, but there is no bakery in the new store, which was a bummer because it's closer to my house. What isn't a bummer is that the bakery is the most requested thing at the new store. Score one for us. They have been talking about transferring stuff from our store to the new store, but I really don't see how it's going to work right now, we are pretty swamped. Maybe in January.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately, so it's making me tired at work, but it doesn't diminish my love for baking or getting up at 1 am to do it. I don't think I could do a 9 to 5 job anymore, I like getting all of my work out of the way before most people eat their lunch. Plus it's necessary, we have limited oven space and the bread takes longer to get to the oven than anything else, and I have to make way for the second shift to start baking when they come in at 7. It is very hectic sometimes, especially when I'm by myself, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

They treat me well there, very well. If I want to try something I can, if I need a small piece of equipment I can get it. They gave me a key to the store a few months after I started, so I must be doing something right. Either that or they didn't want to get up that early anymore.

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but my job means a lot to me, and I want to make sure that I do it right. I do tend to go overboard, and I usually have to get pulled back in by my very understanding wife. But everything is worth it when someone gives me a compliment or says that they traveled a long way to buy something that I have made. It's a nice feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment