Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Yay, it's Christmas!

Christmas officially started today, for me. My adoring fans may remember last years November blog post about foods I like to eat and make at Christmas, mainly Archway pfefferneusse. I am friends with Archway on Facebook, and they said their holiday cookie assortment would be available on November 1. I made it to the store that usually has them after work today, and there they were! There are two new varieties this year, one is a choclate cookie called Snow Top and the other is a sugar cookie with candy can bits in it called, oddly enough, Candy Cane. OMG the Candy Cane cookies are awesome. I did not buy the Snow Tops because I am trying to eat better and I had to buy some pffeferneusse. I just wished they still made the fruit cake cookies, those were awesome. I was inspired by them to find a recipe for work, and they sell pretty well, plus they have a longer shelf life because they are filled with booze. You should see the Amish woman's noses wrinkle when I soak my fruit in bourbon (that's not a euphemism for anything, just so you know). The store also had, as an added bonus, Southern Comfort egg nog (booze not included, dang it). I also make my own egg nog at Christmas/New Year's, but I don't drink it on school nights because it too is filled with booze.

You may be wondering if I'm a lush, if that is still a PC term. I am, but just at Christmas time, and as long as the booze is in something. Although I generally will dump some bourbon or brandy in the pancakes whenever I make those. Go ahead, try it and tell me you don't like it.

Anyway, sorry about that. I get the Baking Sheet, which is a quarterly, uh, magazine is probably too generous a term, and pamphlet is too stingy, so I don't know. King Arthur Flour puts it out and it is chock full of recipes, and the most recent one is for the holidays, and this year there is a pfefferneusse recipe which I want to try. The Archway has raisin paste in it, but the Baking Sheet version doesn't, so we'll see how it goes.

Wow, it's great to see that I haven't lost any of my writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment