Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Lazy Return of Thursday Shuffle

It was a long day at work today, and I have some things I need to do today before I go to bed early for another long day tomorrow. So yay, Thursday Shuffle!

The Old Grunt - Guided By Voices-I forget how I got into GBV, I think it was just by reading about them. This is from Mag Earwhig! where I think they started getting into more 3 minute pop stuff. The earlier albums are very avant-garde. "Did his wife in with Dueling Banjos" is a great line.

Reckoner - Radiohead-I like In Rainbows a lot, but it's not my favorite of theirs. I don't know what is though. Definitely not the first album.

Allentown (Live) - Billy Joel-This is from 12 Gardens Live, where he pulled out a lot of obscure stuff and lowered the key of every song, presumably so he could hit the high notes. This is probably my least favorite song on The Nylon Curtain.

The Scoop - The Beastie Boys-I am really just starting to get into the Beastie Boys, I am very familiar with Paul's Boutique, but not this one. I can't listen to them at work because of the Amish and Mennonite women that work there.

Arousing Thunder - Grant Lee Buffalo-I got into them via the Mockingbirds video, the Mighty Joe Moon album is awesome. I didn't like the next album too much, then Paul Kimble left and they put out this great album. Not my favorite on the album though, but it does hark back to MJM while most of the rest of the album is very rock based.

Russ - The Inbreds-This is an obscure bass and drums band from Canada, and they currently are my #2 album of all time (Kombinator). This is from a stray tracks collection (Hilario) and it's a great song. There's another band called Inbreds which are more metal, this ain't them.

It Came Out Of The Sky - CCR-Much like John Lithgow in the Twilight Zone movie, I love Creedence. More so in high school, I think, and we did a cover of this song in one of the bands I was in because we each got to pick a song to cover. We told a friend of ours who later became our drummer that we wrote this and he believed us. There was a lot of that when we were young.

Pressure - Billy Joel-Another song from the Nylon Curtain, definitely one of my favorites of his. BJ tends to make embarrassingly bad videos, and I think this is one of them.

The Boy From New York City - The Ad-Libs-I actually grew up on the Manhattan Transfer version from the early 80s version, but they put a little too much vocalising into it. I prefer this simpler version these days.

The Hot Rock - Sleater-Kinney-Sleater-Kinney can rock really hard and do really great mellow stuff too, and this song is of the latter variety. The interplay of Carrie and Corin's vocals is excellent, and even better when all three are singing. This is one band breakup that really bummed me out. I'm glad we got to see them live.

The end, maybe more content tomorrow. Then again, maybe I won't. :)

Ooh, Mac The Knife! Overdone at karaoke, but still an awesome version by Bobby Darin. EEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment